Quantcast

virtual machine tags

frispete
[reposted here, as an IRC request didn't revealed anything useful]

Hi,

could some kind soul explain to me, how do I get to the assigned tags of a VM?
I can grab literally everything though the API, and my vm mor has a tag
attribute of array type, but that array is empty, although vserver displays
the assigned tag just fine :(

Any hints are very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Pete

Re: virtual machine tags

hartsock
Administrator
Hi!

The official public API doesn't have any tag features as of the 5.5 release. Maybe we'll see an API to read tags in an upcoming release. There are unofficial ways to read/write the tags that require getting inside the vCenter server. If you're willing to extend vCenter with a plugin you can do things with tags in 5.5 but in Open Source and on pyVmomi we still can't do much with them.

Sorry to answer your question that way. If you're looking to do metadata type stuff there are some API that let you place key/value pairs into the metadata for a Virtual Machine. This metadata thing can accomplish many of the same tasks you might look at for tagging, but oddly it's not as easy to work with from the UI as tags are.